Foundation Western enhances the University community through stewardship of donated funds from Western alumni and friends.
To achieve this mission, the Foundation is accountable for the following:
- To respect and safeguard donors’ intentions.
- To ensure fiscal management and accountability for donated funds.
- To advocate for and support strategies to increase discretionary funds.
Foundation Western supports Western University in its mission, by aspiring to build the leading university alumni endowment fund in Canada.
To respect and safeguard donors’ intentions.
- Ensure that all provisions for new endowments can be honoured;
- Ensure grants to the University are consistent with stated, or in limited cases implied, intention of donors;
- Ensure that funds available are utilized; and
- Provide appropriate reports to donors on the value and use of donated funds.
To ensure fiscal management and accountability for donated funds.
- Implement a comprehensive investment policy;
- Monitor investment results and adjust investment management as needed;
- Monitor key operational measures to ensure an effective and efficient operation; and
- Regularly evaluate the systems, staffing, reporting, and governance capacity of the organization.
To advocate for and support strategies to increase discretionary funds.
- Place an emphasis on, and advocate for, discretionary support through planned giving and other marketing literature;
- Appropriately recognize donors giving to discretionary funds; and
- Consider other support mechanisms to increase discretionary funds, such as matching opportunities.